U.S. Customs and Boarder Protection (CBP) under the Department of Homeland Security: The CBP is the primary regulatory agency for imports into the U.S. and sets forth requirements for items purchased or sourced from foreign countries. The CBP sets forth extensive filing requirements for certain goods, regardless of value. In addition, import regulations dictate the payment of duties owed based on the type of item and the country of origin.
Other U.S. Government Agencies: Agencies such as the USDA, CDC, USFWS, FDA, etc., also regulate certain goods coming into the U.S. and may impose additional regulatory requirements. Import of the following items are likely regulated by more than one agency: biological strains and materials, chemicals, geological samples, human specimens, and hazardous materials.
- Animals, animal products, items exposed to animal source materials – USDA-APHIS – see https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-and-animal-product-import-information
- Plants and plant products – USDA-APHIS – see https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information
- Organisms and soils – USDA-APHIS – see https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information/permits/regulated-organism-and-soil-permits/
- Food, drugs, medical products, cosmetics and tobacco products – FDA – see https://www.fda.gov/industry/import-program-food-and-drug-administration-fda/import-basics
- Human pathogens, infectious substances, and vectors of human disease – CDC – see https://www.cdc.gov/cpr/ipp/index.htm?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fod%2Feaipp%2Findex.htm
- Chemicals – EPA – see https://www.epa.gov/tsca-import-export-requirements/tsca-requirements-importing-chemicals
- Wildlife, endangered species, marine mammals, and protected birds – US Fish and Wildlife Service – see https://fwsepermits.servicenowservices.com/fws?id=fws_kb_article&sys_id=400f70b71b5b58101f45dbdbe54bcb1a
For additional information and requirements, see the International Compliance and Export Management Guide.